Monday, April 10, 2006

Artwork of the month: "Medusa"

I spend a lot of time at museums.  I live a few blocks from the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, where I find myself walking among the magic of art history on an almost daily biases.  I visited the MIA as a child, and now as an adult, I have been a regular patron since I moved to Minneapolis since 1996.  I have fallen in love with a sculpture there:  "Medusa" by Harriet Goodhue Hosmer.

As one of America's first female sculptors, Harriet Goodhue Hosmer focused on the historic plight of women.  I truly love the philosophy of this sculpture, and it is a beautiful work of art.  I have been fortunate enough to look at this sculpture for the last ten years.  It is on display on the third floor of the Minneapolis Institute of Arts.


Harriet Goodhue Hosmer
American, 1830-1908
"Medusa"
1854.  Marble.

Go to the MIA and spend some time with this marvel...
...it will teach you beauty and suffering.


No comments:

Post a Comment